Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Improv Meditation for the Anxious Soul: Ocean is Mother

Improv Meditation for the Anxious Soul -  I created these improv meditations in loving kindness for the sensitive souls in my life (me included) who struggle to surrender into sleep and bend towards the grips of anxiety that grip tightly at night. This anxiety might sound like "I am too hot (take off the covers), I am cold now (shift... shift... shifting in bed), I cannot fall asleep, I won't ever be able to fall asleep..."  Often, I would already be my own sleep world when these words would wake me up. At first, I would feel anxious or irritable to be awoken but with time I discovered my breath and this improv meditations that would flow out of me from a place deep inside. A place that felt like love, warmth, compassion, and kindness even in my exhausted sleepiness. I do as much or as little of these meditations as my sweet ones will tolerate or hold. I share here in hopes that this might serve you or your anxious loved ones. 

Breathe in, relax your hands
Breathe out, relax your wrists

Breathe in, relax your arms
Breathe out, sink into your body and relax your shoulders

Breathe in, relax your feet
Breathe out, relax your ankles

Breathe in, relax your legs
Breathe out, sink into your backside and relax your hips

Breathe in, relax your hands onto your belly
Breathe out, feel the gentle fall of your belly

Breathe in, feel your belly rise
Breathe out, feel the gentle fall of your belly

Breathe in, you began your physical journey in this life form in the belly
Breathe out, your belly is the home of all creation

Breathe in, imagine yourself standing watching out onto the vast ocean
Breathe out, feel the sand underneath your feet and in between your toes

Breathe in, Ocean is a most ancient and wise mother
Breathe out, smell the salty spray the Ocean gifts you as it rushes and receding

Breathe in, the Ocean teaches us the way with its ebbs and flows
Breathe out, the Ocean waxes and wains as our breath

Breathe in, our breath is a wise teacher like the Ocean
Breathe out, feel the calm of the Ocean in your breath

Breathe in gratitude for Mother Ocean keeping rhythm with ancient breaths
Breathe out, rest into your breath embracing the temporary as your belly will rise again

Breathe in, feel the rise of your belly resting as Mother Ocean rests
Breathe out, sink deep into your breath to rest

Breathe in, feel the rise of your belly resting as Mother Ocean rests
Breathe out, sink deep into your breath to rest

Breathe in, hear the Ocean sounds in your breath
Breathe out, the quiet retracting of each wave

Breathe in, the Ocean is Mother
Breathe out, wise, ancient, Mother like your ancestral breath

Breathe in
Breathe out

No comments:

Post a Comment